Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Chris Gethard Show

Play along with me here for a moment. Imagine a live call in show. It can be any show; something on CNN, a QVC segment, a telethon, whatever. Now image how the person hosting that show would react if a five year old called in and wanted to talk. Now see how Chris Gethard of The Chris Gethard Show reacts.



I found out about this New York City local access show through the Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show podcast on Wednesday. Jeff had Chris, of Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater, on to talk about his local access show which is really hard to describe. I enjoyed the interview and decided to check out the show. I spent two and a half hours watching old episodes, then watched the new hour long episode that night. The show is incredible. It features bands, live call ins, and extremely creative stunts, bits, or exercises; whatever you'd call them. Oh yeah, it also features the Human Fish and Mimi the hula hooper. The show seems so simple, it is effortless to watch and to be sucked in by. There is this nagging feeling of smarts and positivity just under its surface. I was in impressed by this week's new show in particular. The hour felt like you were watching gladiators in the circus in ancient Rome. I won't spoil the episode for you, but I will say it might have been the best hour of entertainment I have watched in the past few months, if not year. If you are going to check it out, I would recommend watching entire episodes instead of the highlight clips on YouTube. After one or two shows you really feel like you get to know the featured players on the show. I can't recommend this enough. I do realize that TCGS is not for everyone, but if you ever had any interest in improv, Jackass, The Tom Green Show, or MTV's old show Oddville this one might be for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment